11.08.2011

How 'Bout Some Tasty Meat in that (Bento) Box?

By somewhat popular demand, this is our first review of Waseda Bento shops! This week: none other than the Obento Supermarket, たきたて.

Location: 4.5
Wait Time: 4.5
Atmosphere: 3.5
Price: 5
Taste: 4.2



I'm lazy. On any given day I would like nothing more than to be able to turn the corner from the Gaijin Mecca of Building 22 and be cockslapped by fresh, delicious bento boxes.  And well ladies and gentlemen, that's just what happened on Monday.  An entire street filled with bento shops ready to put their tasty wares all over your face? I'm there. Tell me that I can get one for 300 yen? If I didn't see it myself I'd flip you off go to the Family Mart. But I did see it, so don't worry. I still like you.

My compadre and I opted for the bitch stepsister of thin-sliced beef, thin-sliced pork, aka 生姜焼き(しょうがやき). Don't worry, she's a well seasoned, tasty bitch.  There are bevy of ballsy bentos for only 300 yen, but as bonafide badasses we like to get big bang for our buck.  Alliteration is the shit. After being quickly served by the bento wenches, we set off in search of tranquility and a good spot to display our manliness.



I've seen some nice packages before, but these bad boys were definitely dressed to impress. It was only after opening them that I began to question my life choices.  Let's face the facts: this stuff looks like it was found half digested in the belly of a rhinoceros that died due to a particularly severe case of ulcerative colitis.

Only reluctantly did i put a particularly unsettling piece into my quivering mouth, and that's when I saw the light.  The meat hit my doubting taste buds with an explosion of grilled, salty, tender amazingness. From then on I kept shoveling that shit in like a man depraved, until the only thing left of my bento was the sad, lonely box.


You better believe I'll be back for more of this shit.  Getting lunch for only 300 yen means I can spend that much more time in Kabuki-cho, which  is always a plus in my book.





THE VERDICT

Close by, cheap, and damn delicious.  Lesser bento shops quake in fear of たきたて, and they'll be hard pressed to please me in ways that this lunch did.

4.5 out of 5 beards

THE MAP
 


View Larger Map

No comments:

Post a Comment